Monday, February 22, 2016

10 Things to Understand and (maybe even eventually) Love about Homeschooling a Gifted Kid

I have been homeschooling for more than a handful of years now and have had many ups and downs. When there are downs, they are mostly because I have difficulty interacting with my son and prefer to control the flow of our homeschool day. When there are ups, they are because I have learned to understand the needs and wants of my child. 



Here are the 10 things that I have learned to understand and love even as they continue to challenge me:

1. There will be major power struggles. When you learn to give up some control and allow your child to have more, your days will be so much easier.

2. Asynchronicity will drive you crazy. You treat him according to his intellectual level and forget he’s at different levels in other areas.

3. Be ready for overexcitabilities to rule the day. Whatever OE your child has, welcome these sensitivities to your homeschool day. Imaginational OE through role playing, pretend play, and creating video clips, for example, add a much loved dimension to my son’s homeschool day.

4. Throw plans and schedules out the door. When the kid loves it or gets it, you will just fly through curriculum. If not, you’ll just have to sell that book or put it aside for now.

5. Prepared to be amazed by your child’s divergent mind. You thought you were an out-of-the-box thinker? Well, your child will trump you in ways you never expected.

6. Your child's need for independent ways will boggle your mind. It is a force that is exerted many times during the day. Allow them to learn their own way. You will be surprised how quickly they can do it on their own, and even better than if you demanded a rigid learning process.

7. Be surprised by your child’s intense curiosity and learning capacity. The amount of books borrowed from the library, the amount of projects completed, the amount of obsessions, the endless questions… will be astounding.

8. Forget about being the “teacher.” You are as much a student in this learning environment as they are.

9. Your gifted kid will keep you on your toes. For one, they will copy your bad habits faster than you admit to having them. You will learn more about yourself everyday: whether you like it or not.

10. The feelings you will have as a parent and homeschool teacher of a gifted kid will range from bursts of pride, happiness and understanding to times of questioning, defeat and trial.


Big hugs to you. Know that you are not alone. Know that there are others going through the exact same thing. Join our daily conversations at GHF!



I am participating in the Gifted Homeschoolers Forum February 2016 Blog Hop: Loving the Unexpected Gifts of Giftedness. Check out the other amazing GHF bloggers!

16 comments:

  1. I love that you included "forget about being the teacher" -- that is so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all fantastic. "Forget about being the 'teacher'" really hits home for me, and has become one of my favorite aspects of homeschooling gifted kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the plans and the schedules! And the independence! Thank goodness for an awesome online community that gets it. It's hard to let go, but it's always amazing when you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning how to let go. When I do, the results are AMAZING... yet it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

      Delete
  4. Great summary. A quick and easy read. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. A valued compliment coming from you! :)

      Delete
  5. Sign me up for wholeheartedly agreeing with #4 and #8. As a former public school teacher, our homeschool days had well thought out lesson plans with a nicely organized schedule--I felt so accomplished getting ready for the next day or the next week. And then BOOM, #4 AND #8! Throw out the plans and become the student! Oh, such good memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, that was my big lesson when I left the classroom to homeschool with my son.

      Delete
  6. Thank you! These are all such important things to keep in mind and will decrease stress and increase contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Throwing plans out the window was a rough one for me. I've learned to do it, but it definitely was more of an acquired taste than a love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thank you for this. I have only been homeschooling for a nanosecond, really, but yes! yes! yes! to everything you said. It is so awesome for a newbie like me to hear that all of this is quite appropriate and that I really should just fighting for control and just give in to the learning process :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, best of luck! Sounds like your kids are already in for an awesome homeschool experience! :)

      Delete
  9. I can relate to so many of these! Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, homeschooling definitely has lots of perks, but what about socializing with kids? Knowing how to deal and communicate with people guarantees the child’s ability to network in future. The positive thing through is that you can always choose the most necessary classes for your child and not follow the curriculum of the school’s policy. And you can use Internet for studying, which can be even more convenient and fun than teachers at schools. For instance, Essay Lab writing online is an essay provider that could even guide you throughout the process of writing the paper, but at the same time it’s professional writers who complete the assignments and not you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, there are two words that all the parents are afraid to hear, they are homeschooling and a gifted child. I believe that some essay writers online have posted an article that told that some parents are intimidated by their genius kids. I, for one, would feel exhilarated and terrified at the same, because I would be afraid to teach my son something wrong about the world. But, having found these tips, I am looking forward to starting homeschooling my sweet boy and let him develop in his own charming way.

    ReplyDelete