Monday, November 17, 2014

Gifted Homeschoolers Forum: a Community for Asynchronous Learners




“Am I gifted, Mama? I don’t think I’m gifted.” 


I was editing the 10th anniversary video for Gifted Homeschoolers Forum and didn't realise my son was intently watching me at work. I didn’t know how to respond to this. 

“I don’t know sweetheart. We haven’t tested you for giftedness, but I do know you are an asynchronous learner.” 


His latest standardized test results came back with the largest gap between the lowest and highest subject grade equivalents yet: NINE whole grade levels. Who knew a child’s learning could be so irregular!


Check out other posts for this month's GHF Blog Hop here:
http://giftedhomeschoolers.org/blog-hops/finding-community/


Even when my son was 2 years old, I felt challenged by the way he learned about the world. I struggled to find someone who could help or understand my situation. While one local homeschool support group leader laughed in my face at the preposterous thought that my 4 year old could read Magic Tree House Books on his own and had completed Kindergarten Maths, the GHF community embraced me and helped me understand that I was not alone. 


I love what my colleague at Building Wing Span says, “One of our goals at GHF is to help parents find ways to reach their kids.” If you are a parent interested in homeschooling, educating your children, gifted/2E issues, and/or parenting in general, GHF is a wealth of information and a sensitive, caring community. It is easy to see how we manage to reach up to 300,000 people a week all over the world. 

Thank you Gifted Homeschoolers Forum for all you do. 
Happy 10th Anniversary!


7 comments:

  1. "Even when my son was 2 years old, I felt challenged by the way he learned about the world. I struggled to find someone who could help or understand my situation. While one local homeschool support group leader laughed in my face at the preposterous thought that my 4 year old could read Magic Tree House Books on his own and had completed Kindergarten Maths, the GHF community embraced me and helped me understand that I was not alone. " <--- Yes, to all of that. So thankful for the GHF community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest that it's entirely feasible to have a child tested with such extremes or more. Yes, I have one of those 2e kids too. Most people don't 'get' those 4/5-yr-olds either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! For me, Gifted Homeschoolers Forum was the key to a door that was locked. Inside was a room full of information, resources, help, support, love and friendship. The GHF community is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you responded! “I don’t know sweetheart. We haven’t tested you for giftedness, but I do know you are an asynchronous learner.”

    Yes, giftedness exists, but you focus on some of the specific aspects of gifted identity that need attention at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been hard having people you looked to for support laughing at your real. Finding people who understand can make such a huge difference, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asynchronous learning is so tricky--the many ages/stages at once. HARD for parents and kids. It's wonderful to have friends scattered around the globe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes,extreme asynchrony is real! Thank goodness for GHF and their community who understand, inform, support and encourage!

    ReplyDelete