Sunday, June 01, 2014

I Want Rigorous Schooling, Mama!

To Test or Not to Test

Son: Test me, Mama! What did I learn today? Test me, Mama!
Hmmm, I thought. This is so different from what I'd been reading about children... 
"Children don't like to be tested." "They don't want you to badger them about what they learned. They just want to PLAY." 
Yet, here was my 5 year old yearning to be tested on everything he learned. Here is a video example.


Fast forward a few years...

I Want a Rigorous School, Mama!


As we started school today, my 7 year old son was very serious:
 
Son: What does rigorous mean?
Me: It means challenging and demanding.
Son: Is my homeschooling rigorous?
Me:  Why do you ask?
Son: Because I want my homeschooling to be rigorous. I want to be good at school.
OK, I thought. Yes, son. I will do what I can to make sure your homeschooling is rigorous. Sometimes, we will have fun. Sometimes, we will be challenged. Sometimes, you'll just want to work, work, work. Sometimes, it's good to take a break. Sometimes, you will love it. Sometimes, you'll want to quit. That is life. And, I want you to know that I'll always be here to help you be the person you want to be. 

Now, let's get to work. 


*******************************************************

To understand intensity in asynchronous learners, I would highly suggest reading: Educators' Guide to Gifted Children.

No comments:

Post a Comment