Our Recycled Robots
We went on a field trip to our recycling plant Sonoco Recycling and it was enlightening!
What our son took home: "I want to make a Tin Man!" (There was one at the Recycling Education Room.)
What I took home: "I've been doing almost EVERYTHING WRONG!"
Did you know where we live....
- #s on the bottom don't mean a thing? They recycle plastics as long as they have screw tops and resemble water bottles or milk jugs. No to salad containers. No to yoghurt containers. No to any other shapes.
- we cannot put office or school paper in our recycling bin? only newspapers and cardboard boxes without wax. (Note office paper can be recycled at area drop-off centers.)
- we cannot put any type of glass in our recycling bin? (Note glass bottles, jugs and jars can be recycled at area drop-off sites.)
- they don't recycle any plastic bags?
- we shouldn't separate stuff by material in plastic bags because they just get thrown away and go back into the landfill?
- what can and cannot be recycled changes all the time -- we need to be kept up to date -- or else we are all just wasting time and money!? A good place to stay up-to-date is on www.keepthemidlandsbeautiful.
org Click on "Recycling" and your area of town.
Hmmm... I need to be more vigilant in what I buy so we can recycle, reuse and reduce more effectively!
Earth 911 - find recycling centers and learn how to recycle