Monday, July 07, 2008

Eat Carolina Food Challenge


We've decided to join the challenge and eat only Carolina-produced food for one whole week. Here goes!

Day 1

Initial thoughts: expensive even when compared to buying all organic! I wish I had researched better on local grains. I just read on their website that Anson Mills has a variety of products and they are certified organic!

Breakfast

My son is allergic to both eggs and corn and without local wheat in my pantry, I made "Cream of Rice". I placed 1 cup Carolina Plantation Gold Rice in a lightly greased small crockpot with 4 cups of water. I let it cook on low overnight. I added a tablespoon of Happy Cow unsalted butter and some Butter Patch Jersey milk. We topped our bowls with Little Mountain Apiary honey and our own freshly picked Berry Hill Farm blueberries. YUM!

Lunch

I bought some Nova's Bakery bread from 14 Carrots because I didn't know Anson Mills sold organic wheat flour. We were disappointed with the quality of the bread, as we are used to our own freshly baked homemade bread. Nevertheless, we had melted cheese sandwiches. The Happy Cow 6 Year Cheddar cheese was sharp! We were travelling in the car and it jolted all of us out of our seats.

Dinner

Cinnamon spiced sweet potato mash with Ashley Farms chicken sausage. Publix Greenwise chicken sausage has corn syrup (can you believe it???) so I was happy to see that the Ashley Farms sausages had none! They were a little saltier than I would have liked, but our tummies were happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment