Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Eat Carolina Challenge Day 2: $12 for 1 1/2 pounds of ground sausage!


Thoughts for the day:

I think I know why the grocery bill has been so expensive this week during the Carolina Challenge. I just realized that we paid $12 for 1 1/2 pounds of Caw Caw Creek Ground Sausage at 14 Carrots! And, I just discovered that the Caw Caw Creek website charges half the price for the same thing! Maybe we could stick to our food budget if I just bought all our local stuff on-line???

Breakfast

There was no way I could go through a whole week of Carolina Foods without grits, so I decided my son could have his non-local oatmeal, while we enjoyed our Carolina Plantation Grits. I followed the recipe on the packet and had a delicious breakfast. We also had SC peaches, which we bought from a roadside farm vendor. I had bought it a few days ago and it was a little over ripe by this morning.

Lunch

Leftover sweet potato mash and another cheese sandwich with very sweet Heritage Farm cherry tomatoes.

Dinner

With a toddler in the house, I cannot spend the amount of time I wish I could spend on preparing our food. So I rely a lot on our slow cooker and recipes that are easy and hopefully yummy. I feel guilty and cringe inside as I quickly place local onions, Carolina Plantation rice, more Heritage Farm tomatoes and the $12 Caw Caw Creek sausage all together in the slow cooker on high for 4 1/2 hours. Isn't the $12 sausage worth more than having it as a one-pot meal? Let's just say it was an easy-to-make and above-mediocre filling dinner. We cannot complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment