Tuesday, June 03, 2008

DIY Detergent


For all my mainstream friends and family: This is so easy!!! And cheap!!! It only took me 15 minutes! My friend Sherri told me a few weeks ago that she makes her own detergent and it intrigued me. After watching this video, I knew I had to try it. Click here for the instructional video!

All you need is:
1. a bar of soap, grate (I used my Cuisinart)
2. 6 cups of hot water (I have a hot water dispenser)
3. 3/4 cup of borax (sold at our local Publix)
4. 3/4 cup of washing soda (sold at our local Publix too)
5. 1 quart hot water (from tap is fine)
6. 1 1/2 gallons water, room temperature

Over medium low heat, melt the grated soap. Add borax and washing soda and stir until melted. Take off heat. In a big tub, add the 1 quart of hot water. Then add the melted soap mixture. Keep stirring, while adding the 1 1/2 gallons of water. Let cool. Use 1/2 cup for each load of laundry - although we use 1/4 cup for our HE machine. We added 10 drops of lavender essential oil and sun dried our clothes. Smelled GREAT!

For the dishwasher, 1 tablespoon borax and 1 tablespoon washing soda in the dispenser and vinegar for the rinse.

No comments:

Post a Comment