Monday, May 12, 2008

I am a Mother

Our son, 3 days old, holding on tightly to his daddy's finger

"Every mother is like Moses. She does not enter the promised land. She prepares a world she will not see." Pope Paul VI

When I look back on the day I became a mother, my heart fills with warmth and tenderness.

I look at who I am today and realise how far I have come.

Mothering my son has changed me. It has challenged me, worn me out and pushed my patience. It let me discover my tremendous capacity to dig into myself for more energy, patience, gentleness, sensitivity and love. Mothering has given me a deeper understanding of marriage, of family, of friendships, of being and of me. It has brought me so much joy.

I look at at myself today. I smile. I am happy. I am my son's mother.

P.S. Until a month ago, my son was waking up to 5 times a night. Recently it has averaged around 1 or 2 times. Although he only requires about 5 minutes of attention, it was getting to me. Last night, he slept for 9 hours straight. A solid night's sleep was THE BEST mother's day present!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment